Today, March 8, is International Women’s Day! This is a time of celebration for women all around the world, in recognition of women’s rights and all we have achieved as women and strive to achieve.
The first public demonstration of women’s rights was held March 8, 1914, when a throng of women marched in London in support of the women’s suffrage movement. Since then, women across the globe have fought valiantly and won their rights, both professional and personal, spanning a century:
- the right to vote
- have equal access to job postings
- marry a foreigner and keep your citizenship
- have equal pay to a man in the same line of work
- seek damages for sexual harrassment
- address sexism and racism on a national scale
- serve in the armed forces in any role
- be granted paid maternity leave
These are just a few of the multitude of rights that women have stood up for and won. I celebrate all women for International Women’s Day! Be proud, be strong, and be brave as your embrace your inner tigress!