Domestic violence is an issue that is swept under the rug for millions of people nationwide in the privacy of their own homes. Yet, every 20 minutes in the United States, someone is physically abused by his or her partner. Every nine seconds, a woman is beaten or assaulted. One in three women have been a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime.
Domestic violence does not always appear in the beginning of a relationship. Instead, it gradually starts and tends to worsen over time. If you experience any of these signs in your partner, know that it is not okay!
Signs of Domestic Violence
- Insults you, puts you down, calls you names
- Keeps you from seeing family or friends or tries to keep you from them
- Becomes jealous and overprotective and gives false threats
- Becomes angry when abusing alcohol or drugs
- Threatens to hurt you physically or with a weapon
- Hits, kicks, shoves, slaps, chokes or otherwise hurts you, your children or your pets
- Blames you for his or her wrong actions, makes you feel guilty, or tells you that you deserve it
- Blames you for his or her violent behavior or tells you that you deserve it
- Shoves, kicks, hits, slaps,punches, chokes you (or those who live with you – children or pets)
- Forces you to engage in sex and/or sexual acts without your consent
An abuser may initially apologize for their actions and try to win your forgiveness by apologizing, making false promises to change their behavior, and giving gifts.
Do not stay silent in this prison – you deserve to be free from the cycle of abuse. If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, or has been abused in the past, Love n Me is here to help! Call our 24-hour hotline at 510-265-0583.